John Wesley’s singing rules :
- Learn the tune
- Sing them as they are printed
- Sing all. “If it is a cross to you, take it up and you will find a blessing.”
- Sing lustily and with a good courage
- Sing modestly. Do not bawl.
- Sing in time. Do not run before or stay behind.
- Above all, sing spiritually. Have an eye to God in every word you sing. Aim at pleasing Him more than yourself, or any other creature. In order to do this, attend strictly to the sense of what you sing, and see that your heart is not carried away with the sound, but offered to God continually.